Speaker for the Animals

We live in a rapidly changing landscape where people and urban areas are displacing the places for the wild ones to live. Who speaks for the animals? We will.

Monday, July 10, 2006

Osprey - Guide of Lovers and the Heartsick













Symbol of Royalty and the Sun,
Illumination, Authority, Sovereignty,
Visionary Power, Vigilance, Communication,
Egyptian Symbol of the Soul,
Hermes, Psychopomp, Messenger,


The Osprey is a beautifully marked member of the Hawk family; a fisher which dives from the air directly into the waters of ocean waterways, lakes and rivers to spear its watery prey. Often mistaken for a eagle, the Osprey has nearly an all white head, but sports a mask of black across its eye. Its tail feathers are a deep golden brown, with black spots; its beast and under-wings white. In eastern North America, the Osprey is found along coasts, but sometimes ventures inland hundreds of miles.

Like all hawks, the Osprey carries the symbolisms of power, vision, and spirit; thus, its association with Hermes, or Mercurius, god of communication and messenger of Heaven. At home in the air (mind), Osprey brings us together through lies; not the lying of lower dimensions, but Great Lies that make up Creative process Itself: clever redefinitions, arguments or perspectives which free persons caught in the past from their taboos, forbiddings, or self-imposed exile from love. Free of human concepts of good or evil, Osprey finds ways for both winners and losers in life to walk away feeling that they gained something from their experiences. Thus, diplomats, businesspeople, liars and thieves all are aided by such totem animals.

A trickster, Osprey even has the power to trick humans into loving one another again. Water is also the element of our emotions; diving into our emotions opens us to new softness in relationships, opening of the heart-spaces, and willingness to take greater risks for the greater good. Osprey sells us so cleverly on our need to be open that we never even suspect he’s different from other predators. Whereas they take, he gives. While you lose your wishes, your needs, your hope, and your will, you find out later how much you’ve gained. You learn how to love yourself so you can give others the love they need!

Are you lying down on the job of developing your own potential? Have you given up on life? Osprey's lies trick us into faith that divine love will never abandon us, guiding us as the gods might towards service or some other life focus until we can re-establish our will-to-live. His mask deceives us into believing that some other gods might be here, guiding. In fact, he is the only one. He is our own unknown potential for love and majesty, hidden but manifesting lies to free us of divine illusions. He is the voices of loving self deception for purposes we might never understand. He is teaching us that we are creators, liars, losers or winners, experiencing this loving lie that is life itself. And in the end, he ensures that we understand this.

Osprey is different than other hawks in important respects. No other member of the hawk family leaves its natural element of the air (Consciousness) to enter the element of water (the Unconscious). Even fish eagles like the Bald Eagle do not enter the water, but clasp their fishy prey with their claws as they skim along the surface of the water. In fact, a large portion of the food of eagles comes from fish stolen from ospreys.

Like Hermes, the Osprey is allowed to enter the Underworld as psychopomp, guide of souls, to bring treasures back and as your totem can lead you there to find the lost parts of yourself. The Underworld is the personal and the collective unconscious, symbolized by the element of water. Entering these nether regions are often dangerous, and without the power to return the mind (air) can become lost and descend into madness. Osprey brings us back into ordinary life after our dark nights of the soul.

19 Comments:

Blogger jenifer said...

I'm Jennifer and I appreciate your hard work and effort into writing this article. You are one of the few talented writers on the Internet and your articles are a goldmine of information.
buy xanax online

4:36 PM  
Blogger Benjamin said...

Perhaps the osprey was teasing me when he plummeted towards the black water only to catch himself barely skimming the surface and then soaring over the surrounding hillside

7:25 AM  
Blogger ospreyfriend said...

I love this explanation. Ospreys have been calling out to me as well as circling or perched, it seems like everywhere I look every day now the last couple of weeks. I have had a dark disempowered time in my life that is ending now. I often try to talk with them to understand why they are so present and vocal with me. Your writing has been a big help. thank you.

9:14 AM  
Blogger ospreyfriend said...

I love this explanation. Ospreys have been calling out to me as well as circling or perched, it seems like everywhere I look every day now the last couple of weeks. I have had a dark disempowered time in my life that is ending now. I often try to talk with them to understand why they are so present and vocal with me. Your writing has been a big help. thank you.

9:15 AM  
Blogger Moon Kitty said...

I also love this explanation. I work for a facility that is located on a nature preservation, with lots of water and man-made towers for osprey nests, so I see them every morning and afternoon on my way to and from work. These magnificent guys really take my breath away - I just love them, and am so amazed by their ability to cope with the infringement of human society on their environment. I never noticed them in other places I've lived, away from the ocean, even though I'm sure they were there. They are the fiercest of predators, but they only weigh about three pounds, which blows my mind. I want to feel more connected to them. It comforts me to see them there, doing their thing, day after day. Seeing the ospreys is the highlight of every workday for me, and I am grateful to them for being there, so that is what I want them to know.

11:02 AM  
Blogger laurie 00000 said...

That really resonates with the feeling I got. Osprey showed up yesterday by landing in my tree with a thump. He/she then began (I thought) grooming him/herself. I soon understood that those feathers falling belonged in fact to the osprey's prey. I was being shown to "Seize the Prey" (pardon the pun)
and take the nourishment on offer. As I am looking for work, this is particularly on topic, as well as much of the other qualities and symbols you describe. Thank you!

7:28 PM  
Blogger KATIE HOPKINS said...

I came out on the patio with my gradaughter feeling blue with emotion .I move my chair to have an osprey land in the tree and start talking he is still there...and I have been reading now for 30 minutes.he is telling me much about my up and down emotions and a change is at my fingertips. MUST recognize it

2:53 PM  
Blogger KATIE HOPKINS said...

This is the second time recently Mr osprey has landed in my tree and stayed for quite a while
.he's being very vocal

2:57 PM  
Blogger Zohar Flax said...

I dreamed two nights ago that an osprey rose up from below me, (I was on a mountain) and hovered there fapping its wings and staying still, like a hummingbird does, and it made a connection with my third eye, and I knew I was dreaming in the dream, and that the bird was making an appearance to me like this to let me know this special messenger was now connected with my consciousness. It hovered there for abound thirty seconds in dream land, and that's all I remember. The feeling of the dream was positive and awe inspiring, even shocking in a startling way.

1:06 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Wow. Iove this .have made an osprey friend . he/ she has been visiting me past almost year. And whether its true or not it gives me hope.that maybe there is some kind of significance, a message.

10:30 PM  
Blogger Debra Mann said...

Wow. Iove this .have made an osprey friend . he/ she has been visiting me past almost year. And whether its true or not it gives me hope.that maybe there is some kind of significance, a message.

10:31 PM  
Blogger Standard Solutions said...

The osprey, sometimes known as the fish eagle, sea hawk, river hawk, or fish hawk, is a diurnal, fish-eating bird of prey.
SEO Company in Pakistan

2:15 AM  
Blogger Solana Sally said...

Wonderful insight and understanding of this majestic and powerfully magical sea hawk! Thank you for putting it into words!

8:31 PM  
Blogger Dana said...

Today I went to see the nesting ospreys. I found a feather as we began our hike. It is a beautiful feather. I knew it was a sign. I felt the power. My dark night of the soul (death of my mother) is ending.

7:33 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I am artist. Of late I have developed fascination for bird paintings. I found Osprey interesting, wild and wanted to know its symbolic representation . I usually do this before painting a bird. Your article has already put me on positive track and I want to paint this bird

9:09 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

The love of my life died, unexpectedly today. As I sat outside my friend's house weeping, I noticed a beautiful black and white bird of prey atop a tall tree making a sweet chirping sound. It was comforting somehow, almost as if my love was sending me a message (he always wanted to fly, and he loved living near the ocean). I didn't recognize it, but when I searched for the image of the bird, I found it--an Osprey. This animal totem message is extremely comforting and resonates so much right now. Thank you for sharing this.

6:11 AM  
Blogger Anil Gupta said...

Its very Wonder full blog.I found some knowledge full information in the blog. thanks for sharing valuable.
Bangalore Web Designing Company, Web Development Company Bangalore

8:58 PM  
Blogger Prasanth said...

A very well-written post. I read and liked the post and have also bookmarked you. All the best for future endeavors. Getting some solution regarding.
UI Designing Company in Bangalore, Web Application Development Companies in Bangalore

3:28 AM  
Blogger Lokashree sam said...

It was a great information and Its really worth reading it. The author did an mind blowing work by describing each and every concept in detail. Thanks for such an informative post. Please keep up your good work.
Marine Colleges in Chennai, Engineering Colleges In Chennai

10:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home