Speaker for the Animals

We live in a rapidly changing landscape where people and urban areas are displacing the places for the wild ones to live. Who speaks for the animals? We will.

Sunday, February 26, 2006

The Red Hawk




Message-Bringer, Visionary, Protector

Hawk is one of the most mystical of the great birds of prey. As an archetypal symbol, it is associated with the god Hermes, the messenger, healer, and psychopomp—ferrying souls into and out of the Underworld. Hawk is a communicator, bringing us messages from the Collective Unconscious-or in more mythic language—from the Underworld.

A raptor, Hawk feeds on rodents, snakes and rabbits. Those having this totem should also study the medicines of these animals. For example, those who are detailed oriented (mouse-people) can find in Hawk people the leadership they seek. Those who reach the time of their life when they are ready to leave the past behind (snake-people), find in Hawk the wings to fly. Those who fear and avoid life (rabbit-people), will find through Hawk the courage to face their fear.

Hawk rises into the air where it may witness all that happens below. At height, it can see the whole forest, but the sharpness of its glance gives it all the details below on the forest floor as well. If Hawk is your totem, you will discover that you have the ability to see what others cannot see, that you see the whole as well as the parts of issues that divide us.

I have always found Hawk to be my personal symbol of the Spirit. It is associated with the number 14 and the 14th card of the Tarot: Temperance. On the path of Temperance upon the Tree of Life, we are learning to balance between the opposites. Here, we learn to challenge our concepts of right and wrong, good and bad, winning and losing. We learn the tread the middle way and embrace faith, hope and charity. By balancing between the extremes, conflict will pass and the journeyer will discover peaceful acceptance of life.

In the Mayan Twenty Count, the Number 14 refers to the God Coatyl, who is the Blue Sky Father, the Holy Spirit, and the Spirit of the Animals. Coatyl is the teacher of Hope, Health, Happiness, Harmony and Humor. Hawk is his symbol of lightning.

In the teachings of the Quabala, the 14th Path on the Tree of Life is the path between the Moon (Yesod) and the Sun (Tiphareth). The 14th Path is known as the Desert Way, and by some as the Dark Night of the Soul: the descent of a man (or woman) into the Dark Night as the soul begins to search for the meaning of its living.

The sight of Hawk can lift our hearts and spirit when all seems lost. The lesson of the 14th Path is not that rescue will come to make our lives all right again; the lesson is to appreciate the ecstasy of being alive. The challenge of the 14th Path is to balance and tread the middle way, free from the extremes of thought or emotion, through the agony and joys of life. As psychopomp to the gods, Hawk/Hermes leads us down the pathless path into the Dark, and then back up into the Light.

In Hawk, we can see the fierceness and beauty of life as it is in the natural world. No mercy. Life and death together. Eat or be eaten. Beauty and ecstasy together.

In dreams, the appearance of Hawk symbolizes royalty and its qualities: power, authority, and sovereignty. If you are dreaming of hawk, perhaps it is time for you too to begin your journey into the dark spaces within yourself--to see who you are and what lies you are telling yourself and others about your own dark brothers or sisters.

6 Comments:

Blogger chedoobie said...

I had a dream about a red hawk. It would come when I called it.I was a bit nervous but I new it ment me no harm.when I would wistle it would soar through the air right to me..What does this mean?

9:05 PM  
Blogger Audie said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

1:25 PM  
Blogger Audie said...

Hawk became my totem in 1996 & has stayed with me since. Last week I dreamed a hawk flew to my window & looked in at me. As it hovered I noticed it had bells. I said to another person in my dream...there are the bells again....why bells? In addition, the longer it stayed at the window hovering I watched it's neck feathers disappear & I could see a long skinny neck. In my dream I said to myself....is it turning into a cuckoo bird? Then I awakened.

1:26 PM  
Blogger DivineOrchid said...

My husband and I were looking up the symbolism behind hawks, as he just finished painting a mural, at a school, and a red tailed hawk has made it's nest above the mural. It is fascinating what we read here, and it rings true to my husband's animal spirit. Thank you!

9:10 PM  
Blogger Sarah Holzapfel said...

Last night I had a dreamed that I was stopping men from shooting Red Tail Hawks. There was a baby hawk sitting on a tree branch and in the sky the adult hawks were flying in a circle. I was taking all of the guns away from the men who came to shoot them. None were shot and I woke up just after I turned to look at the hawks still flying in a circle.
There is a red tail hawk that lives on our mountain and I hear him quite often.

9:43 PM  
Blogger Sarah Holzapfel said...

Last night I had a dreamed that I was stopping men from shooting Red Tail Hawks. There was a baby hawk sitting on a tree branch and in the sky the adult hawks were flying in a circle. I was taking all of the guns away from the men who came to shoot them. None were shot and I woke up just after I turned to look at the hawks still flying in a circle.
There is a red tail hawk that lives on our mountain and I hear him quite often.

9:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home